Monday, May 14, 2007

Response to Religious Expression

"While my background has led me to respect various traditions and institutions set up by organized churches, I find that when these institutions become so prominent the initial belief is lost..."

I felt inclined to respond to Oliver's post entitled 'Religious Expression'. I empathize with some of the frustrations he experiences in common day religious institutions. I often think that different religious sects and institutions become so engrossed in promoting their own individual "message" that they lose sight of what the real purpose of their institution is. In my own personal experience, some of the most religious, devout individuals that I know are also the most hyppocritical and narrow-minded. I really think this is due largely to the focus that the organized religious groups take. I believe that this really relates to Oliver's point that often times people are "unable to separate their theology and the traditions instituted by their organized religious body". They become lost in their emphasized goal to prove that their religion or "way" is the correct, superior way that they act contradicts the morals and lessons taught to them within the ideology of the religion they are preaching. I also think it's interesting that two people from very different religious backgrounds agree and are frustrated with similar things that affect organized religion today. I really think that this overbearing "we are right" mentality is what drives many people away from certain religious groups and also affects devout follower's personalities long term.

No comments: